Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tropical Tidbits: Vocabulary Words

Antiman: A homosexual.

As in, "Da ship wit all de antiman heh today."

Flit: Mosquito killer that is sprayed in the air rather than on one's skin.

As in, "You should flit your room tonight to keep those dengue-infected mosquitos out."
Unintended connection of note: According to urbandictionary.com, flit was a 1950's slang term for homosexuals."


And... a photo essay on a bit of St. Thomas life:

"Drinking Roadies"

Have I mentioned that road side dumpsters serve as our public waste removal system?

"Ditching Roadies"

8 comments:

  1. Let's not forget "makin' feet"

    "Pamela, I'm makin' feet" Meaning "I'm "pregnant".

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok now you have lost all us land locked people of the north 48. come back to talking in a way we can understand. yeeeesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. what da matta darin? you doen tink we funny?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my boss review my island dialect for corrections. I missed a word. It should read, "Da ship wit all de antiman dem heh today."

    Dem= Them
    Heh = Here. She thought there was a better way I could spell the island pronunciation of "here" using an apostrophe. I don't know....h'eh...? Don't know if that's any better...

    Dad, It should be "ya mon." =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok so lets all just roll a fat one and sit on the dock and listen to the Dobbies. oh well only 360 more days till i here that talk again. ya mon

    ReplyDelete
  6. "boy shit howdy" ya all talk funny down there

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ash,Iam sure glad you did'nt waste all that hard work and money on booze and parting and got your major in English ;-)

    ReplyDelete