Thursday, March 25, 2010

On Spirituality and Religion, Part I: Context

So, I’m reading an email from my favorite curmudgeon and former high school teacher, Mr. Seversen…three weeks after it arrived in my Inbox, of course…

I’m annoyed to see his response to a question I’d asked in a previous email regarding something he’d written to me. Specifically, he referred to me becoming born-again. Aghast at the very thought, I demanded to know the reason for his inquiry.

His irksome response:

“You made some comment about spiritual journey or something like that. And I’m deeply amused by people being “spiritual” and non religious. What the hell is that? Religion comes in many forms like that goon, Deepak Chopra…the mater of double speak.”

Now, I’ve never actually read anything by Deepak Chopra. All I know is that he belongs to the body of spiritual philosophy known as New Thought, which is related to the wider, more fluid, and much-mocked, New Age Movement. So, Sev (pronounced Seeve) has a good idea of the neighborhood in which I live spiritually. I must have dropped some hints.

His comment bothers me because I feel quite strongly that moving to St. Thomas is part of a spiritual journey I don’t yet fully understand. One of the only things I am sure of when it comes to my recent life transition is that being here is an essential step on my path.

Furthermore, I feel compelled to articulate what exactly I do believe, spiritually speaking. Not just so I can explain to others, but so I can more truly understand myself. Strangely enough, I discover a lot about what I think and feel from the writing process.

Therefore, I’m taking the opportunity to explore what I mean when I say that I’m spiritual and not religious. It’s fine if people don’t agree with me, I just want to avoid them finding me amusingly ironic or completely oblivious, as my dear Mr. Seversen seems to.

Thank you, Mr. Seversen. Even though your comments chafed, you’ve inspired me to articulate what exactly it is that I believe and why. Proving once again, that you are an excellent and necessary teacher in this here lifetime. Perhaps others as well. Or perhaps I served as a teacher for you in another lifetime…

Oops! I’m going all New Age on you again.

6 comments:

  1. Your spirit is in your body and you both are on a journey.

    I am a Christian.

    Who is he to mock the Holy Spirit if he believes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is he indeed? It is me. And I often write to AL just to poke her a bit...just b/c she's so much fun. My fondness for her reveals itself in odd ways....one way, teasing. When I hear people say they are "spiritual" but don't believe in God, I just feel it is an easy answer. I don't remember writing that to her, so chalk it up to senility. I'm as clueless as anyone when it comes to "knowing" God or the Holy Spirit or Jesus or however many Gods Christians have. A Jewish friend likes to point out the Christians aren't honoring God b/c they are polytheistic. Sometimes simplistic thinking is just that.
    K. Seversen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Two comments already! That's what you get when religion is the topic!

    Wreggie, I'm tickled that you posted. If you ever stop by on STT on your way to St. Croix, stop into R&J's Island Latte on the waterfront and introduce yourself. I'm the bespeckled girl behind the counter.

    Sev,
    Well said. =) I believe in God, just not the judgemental old man in the sky version. More on that in the posts to follow. Funny that you don't remember writing that to me, and it inspired over 2000 words on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LETS SEE THE Catholics kill the Protestants the Jews kill the Muslims. The Muslims kill everyone
    the Christians kill everyone the Protestants kill the Catholics. Wow isn,t religion wonderful. I,m Agnostic and we don,t kill anyone in the name of god

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to keep things simple, but talking about spirituality and religion is not so simple to do.

    Here the main difference, imao:

    Religion = an organization where you take an oath to believe in what that organization tells you to believe. Can be restrictive and morally judgmental.

    Spirituality = A personal relationship with the universe. A faith in knowing that there is more to this world than what we see. Finding that connection can bring peace and understanding to our existence. An ongoing journey.

    For me: I believe in God ... I choose to call this power Love. My faith is in the Love that connects us to all people and everything in the universe in a most basic way. Opening my eyes to all possibilities and finding the variety of what life has to offer fascinating. My spirituality is a work in process and always will be as I travel through this life.

    Love = serenity = a peaceful and joyous life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'll just sit back and read the comments it's safer that way ;)

    ReplyDelete