Thursday, April 15, 2010

On Spirituality and Religion, Part 4: Why Claiming to be Spiritual but not Religious Goes Beyond Glib Identification

During a recent episode of Speaking of Faith, host Krista Tippett asked guest Robert Wright his opinion on the increasingly popular “trend” of people professing to be spiritual, but not religious. I perceived an attitude from both parties that this is sort of a laughable cliché espoused by the superficial.

And I suppose Mr. Seversen would agree.

But I disagree. And I disagree, strongly.

People describe their spiritual life in this manner for reasons that run much deeper than trendiness and ease. We connect more with our global community every day, allowing us to discover that our own religion doesn’t hold the only truth that resonates within us. We identify less with the constructs of religion yet still feel the presence of a higher power in our lives. We feel the current of a larger, Universal truth running beneath our everyday reality. We’ve been exposed to numerous religious and spiritual traditions, and are able to glean what works for us to create a personal spirituality.

I find nothing silly or cliché about this so-called trend. I actually find it rather hopeful that we are beginning to see beyond the doctrines of our particular religions to the Universal beliefs at the core of most traditions. Our minds are opening, and so are our hearts.

When the topic of one’s religious or spiritual life enters the conversation, how should people respond who are nonreligious, but believe in life beyond the physical? Something to the tune of “Well, I believe in a Higher Power, but not the kind of god I learned about growing up…I guess you could say I’m spiritual, but not religious,” doesn’t sound shallow or faddish to me. It certainly requires more thought than saying, “I’m Catholic,” or “I’m a Muslim,” or, “I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,"

Let’s look at two definitions for the terms in discussion, courtesy of dictionary.com:

Religion.
#1: “a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.”

Spirituality.
#2: “of or pertaining to the spirit or soul, as distinguished from the physical nature: a spiritual approach to life.’

While this definition of spirituality is certainly concise, I think it nicely encapsulates my own spiritual life. In regard  to religion, I suppose the spirituality I’ve described in these last few posts does contain a vague set of beliefs regarding the cause, nature, and purpose of the Universe. But it’s definitely fluid and open in nature. I have no name for it, no sacred text, and no religious leader, or set of practices to follow. My moral code consists of the golden rule.

Does what I describe sound like religion to you?

How do you describe yourself spiritually?

11 comments:

  1. Did I miss Part #4 or are you seeing if we are paying attention?It's 5:00am and I have to be to work in 1/2 hour,but I shall be back to read more of the comments.Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. I omitted part 4 and forgot to change the title. Thanks Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was going to comment on the same numbering system you have. And how you describe yourself is spiritual not religion. As for me I exist on this world,I am here to take care of myself and my family first, others second. There is one thing I do take from the Bible and that is do unto others as you would have them do unto you. if you dont want it done to you then dont do it to others. try and be helpful a small act such as a smile and opening the door for someone can go along way in life. there is a great new comercial out that follows that line, dont remember the company but the pay it down the line is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the golden rule those that have the gold rule

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brodda, I think you've got it right. I think I may have seen that commercial too. Can't remember what it's for either, but I remember that it made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

    Dad, I think you may have made money your god. We were talking about that at meditation a couple weeks ago. What say you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i dont know if it his god but maybe his jesus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Part 4 speaks my language!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all know my golden rule and we all know how it works to bad many with the gold don,t do unto others as they want others do to them

    ReplyDelete
  9. My stepmother said once, "it doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you arrive". Meaning it doesn't matter what faith, method, beliefs, or current trend for the non-religious, as you arrive to YOUR heaven in your way is all that matters. Do whats right by yourself without doing wrong to others. Interestly put.
    Lads

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lads, I think she was a wise woman!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mom,
    You are a wise woman too!

    Lads,
    I what your stepmother said. I am in complete agreement. My ex's mom (another wise woman) once told me something very similar once when I was voicing frustration with my dear ex's atheism. I love your input, thanks so much for sharing.

    Dad,
    Thanks for showing us that you are not really Uncle Scrooge!!!

    ReplyDelete