Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Creative Construction Cooking on Island

For the past two weeks, I've been staying in my boyfriend's half-built house. The cement frame is up and the beautiful French doors, and a gorgeous bathroom with beautiful tile, but the rest is still very much in progress.  I feel like I'm staying with Miss Havisham, but instead of the grand house being in the process of dilapitating, it's in the process of being built. Living here is reminiscent of camping. (Up until a few weeks before I arrived, Mike still used his outhouse.) The stove/oven is not yet hooked up, and Mike doesn't believe in microwaves. So, any cooking is done on a barebones outdoor grill consisting of cinder blocks, a propane tank, some gas piping and nozzles, a grate, and two big rocks. A few nights ago we made BBQ chicken skewers and veggie kabobs.


       Those things in the middle, between the food, are rocks.




The food was delicious- you'd never know it wasn't prepared on a Weber or Holland.

So then, the other night we were craving nachos. While at Pueblo buying ingredients, it dawned on me that we have no oven or microwave with which to melt the cheese.

"Mike, how will we melt the cheese?"  Right after the words left my mouth, I knew what he would say.
And he confirmed my suspicions.

"A blowtorch."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Why not? It works great."

So we blowtorched 'em like so:



I'll tell you this. They were better than any microwave or oven nachos I've ever consumed. And believe you me, I've consumed many a nacho in my day.

1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious. Yeah, if you can blowtorch desserts with it, why not nachos.

    ReplyDelete