Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Minnesota & St. Thomas: Comparative Observations in Home and Place, Part 2: Landscape

Minnesota is a flat, landlocked mass covered in water-filled holes.

Space… p e r v a d e s .

Roads are luxuriously wide. And usually designed in a square, grid-inspired system. Yards are expansive, with beautifully manicured grass of the most verdant green. In the suburbs and towns, and even to a large degree the city, properties remain comfortably spaced with no less than a modest yard. Homes and businesses are smartly kept and neutrally painted. Neighborhoods are mostly homogenous and identical to suburban developments across America.

Vast amounts of real estate are employed as parking lots. Parking lots that allow for the widest berth instead of creativity in cramped driving. Untended vegetation consists of small woody areas or fields of prairie grass, all growing at a decorous pace. In the rural Midwest, your eyes pass over acres upon acres of agricultural land running to the horizon and beyond.

And litter, well, it seems practically to not exist.

Conversely:

St. Thomas is a lush, rugged speck in the ocean.

Space=preciouscommodity!

Roads are barely wide enough for two vehicles. There is no logic to their design, at least not one that is apparent to me. They seem to be built simply where they're necessary and possible, considering the mountainous topography. Rather than a grid, the St. Thomas road structure is more like the random scribbles of a young toddler on the world’s bumpiest Etch-A-Sketch.

Yards are generally small, and if someone has real grass, it’s assumed they’re rich in either time or money, if not both. Landscaped homes display vibrant, lush flowers, as well-tended as is possible with the fast and wild manner in which tropical flora grow. Every few months, crews of four or five hit the roads to cut back the bush with machetes.

Houses in St. Thomas seem to be built on top of one another up the mountainside. And they have character. You can easily get away with painting your house fuchsia or teal.


This is a poor photo and not the ritziest neighborhood. But you get the idea.
I love love love the fuscia house!

If you tried this in Minnesota, you’d be given the cold shoulder by your neighbors and would be the talk of many neighborhood bridge games and basement church dinners.

A St. Thomian will claim to have a farm if what they actually possess is a garden in their large, fenced-in backyard.

And the litter. The litter exists in heartbreakingly high numbers, especially in densely-populated areas and on the beach. Yes, we have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and frequently the people who enjoy them don’t find it necessary to collect their trash upon leaving. And since we don’t have curbside garbage collection here, dumpsters scattered across the island frequently overflow with rubbish. This functions as an excellent scavenging ground for wild chickens, dogs, and cats. As well as a starting point for the litter that will almost certainly find its way down the mountain to the sea and out into one of the swirling vortexes of garbage that humankind has created in each of our oceans.

Besides being relatively litterless in comparison, the Midwest is certainly beautiful in its own way, especially the bluff and hill saturated regions of SE Minnesota and NE Iowa, where the wedding events occurred. But damn, the island takes my breath away almost every day. The colorful and dramatic landscapes are beyond compare—a constant reminder of the Universe’s capacity for creating glorious scenes in nature. I have always been fond of the more exotic types of beauty, so it’s not surprising that I prefer the vivacity of a tropical island to, say, the serenity of a lake in the woods.

I never appreciated the tidy, ample space of the Midwest because I had never lived without it. I remember being aware of the free availability of space in the heartland when I visited NYC as a teenager. The hotel’s hallways and rooms were almost inconceivably narrow and small. And when I spent time in the urban residential neighborhoods of Chicago, it also became clear how much space is, well, just that…empty space. But what a difference the presence of empty space can invoke! 

I guess mostly, the presence of space gives a greater sense of, well...comfort and autonomy. Room to stretch out and not be bothered by others.

Now, one would think that the available of empty space would make one feel less constricted and more expansive. But, you know what? In the case of Iowa and Minnesota, this isn’t so.  I would argue that most people who live in St. Thomas feel far less constricted than they would in the states, especially the Midwest. It’s why so many people move here in the first place. Plus, I think having ample space just makes it easier to enclave yourself with others like you. There is less of a need to interact with people who are different from you and your kin. So while there was far more open space surrounding me in the heartland, my mind and soul are far more open here. On this tiny speck between the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, I am, somehow, freer. I’m still trying to figure out why St. Thomas has this affect on people, but I am convinced that the landscape is a major contributor.



Another seascape. Sunday morning in St. John. Nature's church.





9 comments:

  1. Ashley....I loved reading this. Your descriptions of STT are right on. There is something about the island that can bite a person quite unexpectedly. I had a friend ask the other day what was my favorite part of living on the island...after a little thought I had to say it was the mix of cultures....the people. Although the 80 degree aqua water ain't bad!! Still....gotta say the Midwest is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you get a A very well written

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that way at the beach or the Keys

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!

    Several years I was fortunate enough to travel to Rome. Within the first couple of hours of arriving, I began to comment (criticize, actually) on the the haphazardness of the Romans as they moved along the ancient streets below my niece's apartment. All I could see were people driving cars down streets, paying absolutely no attention to 'one way' street signs and pedestrians walking down the middle of the busy street. Drivers were honking continuously at other cars as well as the pedestrians.

    Only after hearing my own words out loud did I stop to contemplate what I had just said. All of a sudden I was one of those "ugly Americans" that think that the "American way" is the only way. These people realized that the street signs are 'suggestions' which allowed them to travel down the roads safely. Streets are paths that take you from one point to another-doesn't matter if you're on foot or in a car. Beeping (not honking) the car horn was used to say "I'm behind you or 'hello!"

    That was a real turning point in my sheltered, Midwestern upbringing. Not everyone needed to be just like the rest of "us".

    Even though I have always thought of myself as a very tolerant person, I really wasn't. I felt everyone should follow 'the rules'. Even though I acted like people who broke the mold were fun and brave and exciting, I inwardly looked down upon them for being something other than what I was.

    I try harder these days to be who I am and not what I think everyone else is. (Not that I'm very good at being nonconforming, I do think about it a lot!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bindy...thanks for sharing that story.....somewhat of an A-HA moment! On island we honked continuously too. One beep means "go ahead" and the returning two beeps are "thank you". It was an efficient way of communication. Ken was so embarrassed when I'd beep, he just can't get over the opinion that it's being rude rather than courteous. Hmmmmmmmm, which reminds me....I was on the receiving end of a very long angry honk this morning. I deserved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. all you ocean people are nuts, just plain nutty, what happens when you leave up here. is this what i have to look forward to when i move down there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep Darin.....you'll learn to relax, enjoy and live in the moment. It's a good ting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It absolutely is a good 'ting'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brodda, wha you find so nutty?

    Bindy, thanks for sharing! I remember hearing a shirtless sunburned tourist remark on the street one day, "I can't believe people honk so much here. It's so rude.". But he was so wrong. And ironically, people who live here overwhelmingly agree that a tourist who is shirtless anywhere other than the beach is insanely rude, which is something I'd never considered before I lived in a tropical vacation destination.

    Ashley (blogger won't let me leave a comment when Im signed in for some reason)

    ReplyDelete