Friday, February 19, 2010

Ignoring Fashion Rules: An Unexpected Consequence

I’m running late for work. This is typical. Although I left a full thirty minutes before I start, stopping for just a minute at the store. Still, I’m running desperately late. I forgot that traffic is much heavier at 8am than at 6:30 when I usually commute. Also, it’s Tuesday and the massive Oasis of the Seas is in port, along with four other ships, so pretty much everyone who works downtown in the tourist biz is here today.

Free parking is gone. Oh well. I expected that. When I chose to sleep an extra thirty minutes, I opted to pay $5 dollars for parking. What can I say? Sleep is precious in my world.

With the volume of traffic in town, it almost feels like driving in a major city again, and I'm pleasantly surprised when the LOT FULL sign is missing from the entryway to the parking lot.

Walking out of the lot, I pass a bum of sorts sitting next to the small gap in the fence that serves as an exit. I’m absorbed in my thoughts and offer no salutation. Before I can walk completely past, he says,

“Good Morning to you too,” sounding miffed.

“Morning,” I respond absently, without breaking pace.

While still in earshot, I hear him comment to his crony on my pairing black shorts with a brown purse.

Seriously, yo.

A Caribbean bum dissing me for ignoring an age-old fashion rule?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

The funny thing is, only since I’ve lived in the V.I. would I even dream of ignoring this fashion rule. I used to run late for work specifically because I couldn’t find my brown belt when sporting an earth-toned ensemble.

I must tell you, I’m far more amused than offended.

4 comments:

  1. I never thought of you as a fashion maven.

    ks

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA!! That is rich, thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't think my green Doc Martens in high school made me a fashion maven, Sev? By the way, I have a blog post in the works that will be dedicated to you. I'll give you a heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's hilarious. But aren't you supposed to be able to wear brown and black together these days? Maybe I just tell myself that so I can wear these comfy brown pants I got talked into buying with my mostly black wardrobe. Wow, I sound like a fashion maven now.

    ReplyDelete