Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fleas and Ticks Jump Everywhere

Never did I expect to be one who de-ticks dogs with ungloved fingers.

I’ve always been the squeamish of the squeam when it comes to creepy crawlies. Well into my twenties, I still cannot kill bugs mainly because the thought of getting that close and feeling their body crushed beneath my fingers makes me flap my hands and fake-gag.

However, I must say that I’m cohabitating with insects better now than at any previous point in my life. (My boyfriend, Mike, doesn’t fully appreciate this fact, never having known me before.)

But now I have two dogs that spend most of their time outdoors. And, as you may have guessed by now, they’ve acquired ticks. And when I say they’ve acquired ticks, I mean that we have a tick infestation. They have ticks between their toes, ticks in their ear folds, ticks on their eyelids, ticks in their armpits, and most concerningly, ticks on their bungholes.

We have ticks on the walls, ticks on our sheets, ticks on our bedroom floor, and ticks in the laundry hamper.

I bemoaned the ticks for a few days, trying unsuccessfully to inspire Mike to take some time out of his legitimately busy schedule to help me exterminate the problem.

I even found ticks crawling up my legs, an event that didn’t phase him in the least. I think, upon complaining, he absently said something along the lines of, “That’s gross, baby.”

And then one evening while lying in bed, Mike discovered a tick crawling on him. Suddenly, he felt boldly determined to fix the tick problem once and for all, declaring,

“We have to figure out this tick problem. Like tomorrow. We can’t live like this. Yuck Ash, this is gross.” He shuddered, as if he had to convince me of something I didn’t already know.

Now, I have been picking at the ticks since their arrival. My ape-like fascination with ridding unwanted items from the body is beneficial in this situation. Ticks, hair follicles, blackheads, ear wax— I easily become obsessed with removal.

But the ticks are thick and getting thicker. Mere picking will not solve this problem.

Spraying does little good, especially since Harley flees from the blue bottle of tick killer. Tweezers work quite well if I catch the dogs while they’re relaxed. I am truly a plucking pro. But mostly the tweezers just make the dogs understandably nervous and squirmy, creating a two-person task out of the deal. Plus, it’s harder to tell the difference between a blood-pregnant tick and a dog- nipple when using a tweezers. I only had to make this unfortunate mistake once…

So, I’ve gotten to the point where if the dogs are near, I’ll pull ticks off with my fingers. I’ll even keep two or three pinched between my index and middle finger until I can walk over to the tick bowl of torture and flick them inside to be squirted with the blue bottle. They can’t avoid my aim, and I can’t hear any cries of misery as they drown in poison.

I’ve observed some interesting things about ticks. For instance, the gray prune-like ones, grotesquely plump with blood, will sink to the bottom of the toilet when thrown into the bowl. But the small black ones will swim nimbly to the water’s edge and climb out if you don’t flush quickly enough. They’re resilient little bastards.

And it’s funny how ticks make fleas seem so benign. When I first arrived on island, I was devastated when Harley caught fleas from a stray dog that hung around for awhile. But since the tick infestation, I barely even notice the fleas. If someone points them out to me, I’ll likely respond, “Oh, it’s just a flea. It won’t hurt anything.”

That I can pick ticks off the dogs and walls with my fingers and hold onto them until discarding in the next room shows the severity of the problem, but more importantly, it shows growth on my part.

A few nights ago Mike and I sat at the dinner table. We were pretty much done eating and sort of lulling about before we went on being productive again. Harley approached, as he often does, and I noticed a fat, juicy tick on his back. I attacked it with zest, easily plucking it off his body.

“Ashley, that’s gross.”

I held up the tick between my fingers, filled to blue plumpness with Harley’s blood. Its legs, which looked comically small and worthless, especially compared to their strength and ability in an un-saturated tick, wriggled about helplessly.

“It reminds me of the blueberry girl from Willy Wonka,” I said, amused.

“Ashley, that’s disgusting,” Mike said with no small amount of revulsion. “You don’t pick ticks at the dinner table! Yuck. I guess I’m done eating tonight.”

And then he performed the same bit of facial drama I’ve always displayed in the presence of bugs.

He fake-gagged.

This, my friends, was a first. I never before have grossed-out another individual by my handling of an insect or any such small and wiggly inhabitant of this earth.

And yes, in my world, this is definitely growth.

9 comments:

  1. now you can go to the cabin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, enough!! I'm sending you some Frontline. Agreed, growth for you, but for the love of God, that is gross!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless my parents for always being the first two commenters. I can never say that I wasn't supported or encouraged! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. but you need a good dose of deer flies biting at you at the same time, then you will feel a little more like being back in minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are hilarious! I know exactly how you use to feel about creepy insects, I'm still that way. You're a much better person than I could ever be. God bless you Ashley!
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brother,
    We don't have deer flies, but we certainly have mosquitos. Not quite as bad as the cabin in July, but close.
    Karla,
    God bless you for reading my blog and commenting! I'm still pretty much a wuss when it comes to bugs, but for some reason ticks don't feel as threatening to me. Plus, it stimulates my obsessive monkey tendencies. Thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MB,

    I'm done reading your blog. I'm sick enough already. Are these ticks immune to Frontline? Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashley, I absolutely love reading your blog. I'm so excited when you've posted a new entry. You have such a gifted way of taking me away and looking at things through your eyes, and noticing things I may not have seen before. I feel the weather, the hot wind I smell fragrances through your writing. For the mini vacations, I thank you. For sharing your life, bless you!
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must admit that I did the fake gag more than once while reading this. Do you remember the 10,000 Lakes Festival when Lissa found one in HER bunghole? Ishy. I'm very proud of you and your newfound courage! However, I really hope I don't ever have to find that kind of courage myself. :)

    The part about you loving to pluck things just takes me back to the days of the dorms when you would sit on your desk and pluck my eyebrows for me. True friendship, folks.

    Love from Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete