Monday, November 30, 2009

Fowl Feature

Some of you know that during the last year or so I've developed what might be called a creative affinity for fowl. Hence, the title of this here blog.

So, I am pleased to discover last week's episode of This American Life was dedicated to birds, primarily of the fowl variety.

I'm sharing this for any of you who may be in search of new audio entertainment that is both thought-provoking and funny. This American Life always brings forth at least one audible chortle from my being. Perhaps similar to how Baby Boomers with Scandinavian heritage can't help but giggle at A Prairie Home Companion. 

Every week This American Life features a specific theme and people from around the country, mostly writer types, share funny and poignant stories related to the theme. Every year before Thanksgiving the show's theme is dedicated to poultry.

My favorite segment from this particular episode is the mystery of chickens, who after tornados are often found, "alive and clucking, but plucked clean as butterballs," which, I learned, is a long documented phenomenon.

The download is free. Enjoy.

Poultry Slam 2008

5 comments:

  1. So the visual of the naked chickens clucking around after a tornado makes me giggle! Who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me giggle too! That's why I'm sharing!

    Anonymous, who this is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's your mom, don't know how have my name show. Sorry. LOL I welcome instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm...maybe down at the bottom of the Follower list, it says something about being a member and signing in...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love This American Life. Such a good show. Have you checked out the Showtime series? It's pretty good. Definitely worth renting...you can get both seasons on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete