Sunday, December 26, 2010

Finding Pleasure in the Health Card Process

People who work in the food service industry in St. Thomas (and there are many of us) must annually renew their health card in order to stay legally employed. To do this, one must carry a personal poo sample to a lab where it is tested for worms. They don’t test for anything else—Hepatitis, cholera, bird flu, VD…just intestinal worms. Don’t ask me to explain. Then one must take the results to the community clinic at the hospital where, after 1pm on weekdays, they issue health cards to food handlers and others who need it. Having had to do this twice now, I’ve gotten over the initial shock of having to scoop a piece of my poo into a sample jar and later hand it to lab technician. (I learned after the first time to write my name on the sample jar BEFORE the sample was collected.) The whole process is just sort of a pain in the ass (pun not intended) like any bureaucratic process in the VI. But at least the waiting room experience is far more entertaining than it would be in the Midwest.

I couldn’t have been more pleased with the company I kept during the short elevator ride to the 2nd floor. The woman I rode with wore the type of vibrant Caribbean outfit I most enjoy. A fuchsia business suit with bright orange accents and fuchsia heels to match. Her hair was done up in thick braids, and at the crown of her head the braids were multi-colored. They reminded me of the consistency of rag rugs, but with the hues of those sweet rainbow candy canes (as opposed to the peppermint ones). I’m telling you, I couldn’t be more turned on by the color of this island, both nature-made and human-displayed.

My other source of entertainment came from another local woman wearing pink. This one in hot magenta scrubs, who also seemed to be waiting for a health card. She apparently knew the people working in the community health clinic because she maintained a loud conversation with them while eating her lunch in the waiting room. Clearly, she had no problem being the center of attention. For dessert she pulled out a banana (pronounced locally as bah-nah-nah). Upon noticing this, the man sitting in front of me asked her something I had trouble making out, but I’m pretty sure it was,

“Wh’eh ya get ya banana?”

To which she replied, “It not ya business wh’eh I get my banana.”

This back and forth continued for a couple minutes. And I'm confident that I was not imagining the sexual innuendo. She finally ended the exchange by declaring,

“Dat da problem wit black people. Dey see too much and hea’eh too much and say too much. Black people is too nosey.”

I found this statement rather entertaining since the young lady’s skin was the color of milk chocolate.

Patience and a sense of humor.
That’s what it takes to live happily in the VI, folks.

6 comments:

  1. Having been there and done that...I couldn't have enjoyed your accounting of the experience more! You be blessed mah fren, Write on!
    Kate Rake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet blog dood! I'm definitely going to have to keep tabs on this one. : )

    Ps I'm the guy that sold you some supplies today at DITV. I hope you found some "Serenity"

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the place for you, you fit in very well with the people and the culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian,
    Thanks so much for checking out my blog. Like I said at DITV, if you're at all interested in making a move here, I'm happy to advise. The Serenity was okay in a pinch (okay, pun maybe intended). I liken it to tofu. Happy New Year!
    Ashley

    Brodda,
    Interesting. Why you say that? Are you able to specify?
    Sista

    ReplyDelete
  5. it sounds like for the first time in a long time you are happy. you are not the same person that was at the cabin a bunch of years ago having a bad time when we were putting the siding on

    darin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well a lot of that was the cabin was not for me but I felt pressured to be part of it because it was a family thing and I didn't want to be left out. And, as you know, I'm not very good at spending time in small places with lots of people and no place to escape. But yes, I am very happy here right now. Glad it's noticeable.

    ReplyDelete