Sunday, September 12, 2010

Island Animal Watch: Fire Ants

So the other day, Hershey and I were nearing the end of our routine walk up and down St. Peter Mountain Rd when I received a special tropical treat. It's a treacherous route with ample blind curves and only the slightest suggestion of a pedestrian walkway, but it's home so we make due. We were almost finished when I felt a tiny, hot, piercing sensation between my shoulder blades. Then I felt one further down my back. Then on my neck, my shoulder, and my left tit. I came dangerously close to breaking into the A.C. Slater ants-down-back-in-study-hall dance out of true purpose. (If anyone needs a reminder, check out this link at a minute, thirty. Thanks Kate for figuring out the episode! You're my bestie for a reason.)

After returning to my apartment,  I discovered a miniscule fire ant crawling up my arm. And it wasn't the only one. It took just a few minutes to remove the little shitters, but they left itchy red welts that lasted for days. I couldn't figure out how they landed on me until our walk the following morning. I must have accidentally brushed against one of the vines hanging from the bush on the side of the road. Upon inspection, I saw the same dusty red ants crawling to and fro between the leaves. I wonder if they sting the vine, and if so, does it mind?



I've always loved these vines; they're so very rainforest romantic.
But now I know to admire from afar.

6 comments:

  1. Ewwwwww, beware the fire ants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is that what paradise is, ants,hurricanes,goats running wild,lizards and bad drivers, hmmmmmmmmmm i dont know Fort Myers is gaining ground for me LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your link says it's not available in this country....

    Fucking bugs.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photo and observations...as always. We have something like that here: carpenter ants and I was bit up badly when I moved some old firewood full of them. Really enjoyed your hurricane blog. I guess I didn't have to be there after all.

    ks

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have them big time here in Florida 2 friends had to go to er I step in a bunch in yard while paint hurt like hell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps I didn't spend enough time doing manual labor outside to encounter any carptener ants in the Midwest...?

    ReplyDelete