Monday, May 17, 2010

Island Animal Watch: Goats

Back in the heartland, one place we could actually hang out with farm animals (instead of mooing from afar) was at the state fair. Whenever Mom and I attended the fair, we spent most of our time in the livestock barns. Our favorite animal to visit turned out to be goats.

“Goats?” you say. “What’s so appealing about goats?”

I don’t know…there’s just something so cute about their faces. They have these adorably demonic eyes and floppy ears and the most amusing disposition—eager to greet in case you have something yummy for them to nibble. We spent lots of time at the fair petting and talking with goats. For some reason, I was always eager to tell my friends about it afterward. As a teenager, mind you. They didn’t really understand all the fuss...

I’ve retained my affection for goats, and so it was with much delight that I encountered the following herd upon leaving the PriceSmart parking lot last week.



I actually had to stop my car so they could pass. And then I turned around and followed them through the parking lot like a member of the fucking paparazzi to get photos.





The goats just kept on a-comin’. I couldn’t believe their number. The way they run is so charmingly childlike and clumsy that I damn near squealed-- all alone in the car.

They seem to be self-herding, but must belong to someone. I’m told that they’re a common site at PriceSmart. Home Depot too.

Whatever their story, the unexpected goat stampede brightened the end of my shopping experience immensely and gave me a jolt of happy for the rest of the day.

But wait folks, I’m not done yet. I have another St. Thomas goat story for you.

One day, while driving past the Drake’s Seat lookout, a funny- looking dog ran across the road in front of me, his leash trailing behind him. But something about the animal seemed strangely undoglike, and it took my brain a few seconds to recognize that this was, in fact, a small leashed goat. I glanced to my right and saw its presumable owner, a rasta man standing on the right side of the road, near the bench that operates as Drake’s Seat. This must be a favorite hangout of theirs, as I’ve seen them there since.

...Toto, we not in Iowa no mah, ya know.

4 comments:

  1. i am picturing all the news and travel stories i have read or watched and this sounds just like what they advertise, you cant get more laid back and relaxed then having a herd of goats running thru the parking and this is considered a common thing. a paradise, its what you are a livin sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we were goofy going through the livestock barns talking and giggling at the animals. The goats gave us a particularly good laugh. I think of them standing on their back legs, poking their heads above the pens and making all kinds of noise to get their due attention.
    We also did our share of "grazing" through the fair food stands...guiltless eating because that's what you do at the fair.
    And of course, our annual nod to the midway with one or two rides........good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goat appreciation is very progressive of you. They are interesting and much more unpredictable than a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where'd ya go my dear? Would love to see some blogging updates! :) Hope all is well...

    ReplyDelete