Monday, December 14, 2009

Open-Minded Adapting?...Or Lowering One's Standards?

The consequences of my actions were not lost on me. Let me tell you. Before moving to St. Thomas, I understood that in doing so, I deliberately placed myself smack dab into certain discomforts. Indeed, this was part of the point. Almost like manipulating the environment of a Sim chick out of pure curiosity in the result. How will she respond to living without convenient access to things she loves like seasons and sweet corn and art house movies?

While lush in many ways, the Virgin Islands are a virtual desert when it comes to new rock and Pop* music, a Current of which flowed freely in the Twin Cities, and from which I thirstily drank. One could even say I was a bit spoiled in this regard.

If I needed a live music fix, I could see under-the-radar star M. Ward at 1st Ave or news-coverage-grabbing Rage Against the Machine at the Target Center. Since very few nationwide tours skip the Twin Cities, I had the opportunity to catch whatever act excited me at the moment, and easily be home by midnight.

I patronized cool independent record stores, my favorite being the Electric Fetus for its consistent selection, fun location just south of downtown Minneapolis, and long history in the community. Growing up, Mom always pointed the Fetus out to me when we drove on I-35 to the city from Iowa. (More often than not the trip was dedicated to seeing a rock show—few tours stops in Iowa.) She often shopped there during her brief stint in Minneapolis after high school. This knowledge always made buying music at the Fetus an extra special experience, akin to ancestral traditions like eating lefsa during the Holidays.

And, of course, The Current kept my discerning ears stimulated throughout the work day. The MPR rock radio station never failed to challenge my taste and keep me abreast of the best in new innovative and interesting (mostly indie) rock and pop.

Island radio formats consist of mass-appeal pap, Caribbean music, and Christian talk. I was, of course, completely aware of this. To keep somewhat plugged in, I planned to podcast Sound Opinions and Musicheads, read music mags and blogs, and hopefully catch a festival in the States during the summer. Any music shopping would be done online, as I assumed (however, still have not confirmed) that the music shops here don’t cater to rocker types like myself.

I figured the closest I’d get to enjoying live music on island would consist of a mediocre bar band.

So, it was mild excitement I felt when, during a brief listen to the modern rock station that broadcasts from St. Croix, I happened to hear an advertisement for Once, a Pearl Jam cover band scheduled to play on island in early December. Of course, I planned to check it out. A $5 cover and a trip to the East End are totally worth it for rare entertainment like this on St. Thomas. At the very least, I knew it would be a fun blog post to write.

To be continued…


*I mean Pop Music here in the large sense. In my mind, the small pop, defines artists of an inane variety such as Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers, whereas Pop in the large sense can refer to artists as diverse as the oft disturbing Iggy Pop, as well as the anti-sellout Neil Young. Mayhap this makes sense to you. Mayhap not.

6 comments:

  1. OMG, I feel your pain. Can't wait for part II.
    Really, have the Christmas winds started? I LOVE them! See you soon honey. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. On St Croix they have decent corn too. Fresh year round.

    Try satellite radio online. Lots of new bleeding edge stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember going to down in the valley on all my trips to the cities when i was a young man heading to the big city. they had great albums ( yes the vinyl kind, i am old ) and other things that i needed to buy. and i agree with Wreggie who ever you are but XM is great all the music you could ever need, and if you want i do have a couple extra xm receivers that i could send you and all you would have to do is activate. and i love rage against the machine, even for and old fart i rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get your computer fixed. Buy the best connection you can afford. Read music blogs and discussion forums. Stream the Current. Download music (EVERYTHING is out there). 20 years ago a kid in suburban New York was more isolated than you are. Of course, yeah, you do miss the live music. That would suck. But so does my throbbing throat and the gray skies and frigid temps here in Minneapolis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wreggie, thanks for the sweet corn tip. When I getto stx i'll try to indulge.
    Brodda, I use down in the valley for my head shop needs but the fetus has a far better music selection. I,m not surprised that you like rageusic wise but their political bent is opposite of yours.
    Todd, what music blogs do you follow?
    Mom, thanks for being my biggest fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. soundopinions.org/forum (I go here every day)

    ateaseweb.com/forum (radiohead fan site...they talk about everything...click on music...you must register too)

    forums.viachicago.org (wilco fan site, covers everything, but more americana oriented)

    hypem.com (just discovered...not sure what I think yet. They have links to just about every music blog on the planet and draw posts from them)

    ReplyDelete